HVAC and Carbon Monoxide - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
From South Florida (Boca Raton) Air Conditioner Repair Specialists
There was breaking news last week announcing eighty employees leaving sick with seventeen in the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. The West-Miami Dade employees from the Lennar offices became sick after the transparent gas was omitted from old piping in the women’s bathroom. This is just one of several incidents that can happen when people are unaware of their maintenance schedules. Thankfully, no serious injuries occurred yet this accident reminds us how serious this gas can be.
Because the carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious matter, it’s important to compete yourself and your family or co-workers about this odorless, invisible, and tasteless gas. Knowing how to identify the signs of carbon monoxide can mean saving a life. Here is the least you should know about carbon monoxide poisoning and your HVAC system. Carbon Monoxide is a product of combustion. Your AC Unit utilizes such things as a blower motor that is shared by both the AC and the furnace. If this unit is backfiring it can cause issues that can create the poisonous gas. This unit is the same as any other appliance in your home and needs to be handled properly for the safe use.
Air Quality Testing in Palm Beach County and Broward County Florida - Call United AC Now.
Your HVAC system is considered a household appliance and any time there’s fuel producing elements in the home or workplace, it’s important to know how to identify when you could be in danger. Carbon monoxide alarms are only good as long as the batteries are working. Do monthly tests on the alarms in your home to protect your family. Stay on top of maintenance to do the same if it’s in an office building or other shop structure.
Carbon monoxide gasses can be emitted into the air from things like gas dryers, charcoal grills, water and space heaters and stoves. This is why it’s important to schedule regular maintenance on any of your appliances including your HVAC system.
Whether you’re the head of your household or you’re the CEO of your company, it’s your responsibility to make every effort those around you are safe.
How long does your carbon monoxide alarm last? Most carbon monoxide alarms last between 5-7 years and should have the batteries checked monthly. Since you can’t see, smell or taste this gas it’s important to take every precaution necessary toward staying healthy. Be sure to have this checked, you’ll be glad you did.
By taking all the correct steps you can ensure a healthier home and place of work that are free of this poisonous culprit. For questions regarding carbon monoxide and your HVAC system, contact our offices.
On a side note, a happy HVAC is a healthy HVAC.
If your home's central air conditioning system is not working the way it should give us a call today!!
We service air conditioning systems in Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach and all of Broward and Palm Beach County.
24/7 Emergency Service Available
Broward 954-428-7877 Palm Beach 561-994-9008